Chocolate Cake with Strawberries, Balsamic Glaze and Mascarpone Whipped Cream
For the Cake:
- cooking spray
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (more for dusting)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup brewed coffee ( for a richer taste)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
For the strawberries:
- 16 ounces fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Traditional balsamic vinegar
For the glaze:
- 2/3 cup Traditional balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate bar, chopped
For the mascarpone whipped cream:
- 1/4 cup mascarpone
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare one 8" round pan by spraying with cooking spray and dusting with cocoa, tapping out any excess. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar. Don't skip the sifting part, this recipe needs it. The next part is easiest to do in a 2-cup measuring cup...measure and mix together the oil, coffee and vanilla. Pour this into the flour mixture and mix batter with a rubber spatula. When batter is smooth add vinegar and stir quickly, the vinegar will activate the baking soda. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For the strawberries, mix together strawberries, balsamic vinegar and sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
For the glaze, in a large saucepan combine vinegar and sugar over medium high heat. Reduce by half to a syrupy consistency. Remove from heat and stir in chopped chocolate until melted; cool slightly.
- For the whipped cream, beat mascarpone for one minute. Add heavy cream, sugar and vanilla. Whip until thick.
Serve each piece with glaze, strawberries and whipped cream.